"Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread roots into the very depth of your heart. Confess to yourself you would have to die if you were forbidden to write." ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

Monday, January 12, 2009

Mirror images kinda confuse me.

Okay, this is pre-hobo-bag purse number uno.  I decided to try my hand at making something first before I started devoting my time to a project that would be potentially horrific looking once done. 

So I grabbed a random t-shirt that I was already cutting swatches out of and made a mini purse, with no help, no tutorial, nothing. Here's the finished project:



(Yay for MacBook Mirror Imaging! A small flaw I never thought of before.)

It's definitely rough. I used my sewing machine for the first time on this. I know it sounds dumb, but I had no idea what a reverse stitch was until I looked at the user guide yesterday. 

Oh, and I also happened to forget to hem the top before I closed up the purse...so I used HeatnBond! That awesome iron on hem tape that I use for all of my slacks. J'adore.

BUT...I put on the straps before I hemmed it, (I feel like I was in a hurry to finish it, or something) so the inside is uh... lopsided? 

AND...the straps are leftover material and aren't even the same width. 

So you see, many flaws. This is the purse one would make if they were just kicked out of their house with the clothes on their back and a sewing kit, and an extra t-shirt from the thrift store.

I mean, really, I just blame all of my imperfections on the sewing machine. I got it from Meijer for 27 dollars:


Anything called a "Mighty Mender" (you would be able to read that if the laws of physics...or...visualityness weren't so strict) couldn't possibly be too great, right?

I will probably add some kind of lining to it, to hide my terrible cutting skills.  Also, I've decided that I am going to make it my Nintendo DS Carrier. I already have a hard case, but just think about the irony of a Japanese gaming system in a Chinese-made/inspired purse. I'm such a jokester. 

*I think for next time, I will spend the two or 3 bucks, get a pattern for a hobo purse, find some decent fabric around the home, use measuring tape, cut more carefully, and take my time. A lesson (or 5) learned.*

~Pusher. Of. Pens.~

P.S. My deadline for writing a rough draft of one of my articles is tonight by 9. And in true procrastifantastic fashion, I haven't started it yet. Score one for me.

No comments: